One critical search engine optimization task is verifying your website with Google, Yahoo, and Bing Webmaster Tools and submitting an XML site map to their feeds. Completing these tasks improves the crawlabilty of your website and allows for communication and reporting with the search engines. Ever wonder what old URLS are creating 404 errors or ponder which pages are creating duplicate content, look no further.
For Drupal websites the process of generating an XML site map and submitting it to Google, Yahoo, and Bing is straightforward.
1. Install and enable the Site Verification module.
2. Login to Google, Yahoo, and Bing Webmaster Tools and select “Add Site”.
3. Download verification files.
4. Go to www.example.com/admin/config/search/verifications and select “Add Verification”. Upload three files.
5. Return to Webmaster Tools portals to confirm verification.
XML Site Map
1. Install and enable the XML Site Map module.
2. Go to www.example.com/admin/config/search/xmlsitemap and navigate to settings.
3. Update inclusion and priorities based on content type, menu, taxonomy, and/or user. Recommend using content type for greater customization compared to menu.
4. Rebuild site map and go to www.example.com/sitemap.xml.
5. Review included pages and assess for error pages or missing pages. Clean up those pages you do not want included at the page level and add missing pages (views) in custom links.
6. Submit to Google, Yahoo, and Bing Webmaster Tools.
7. Update XML Site Map module to submit to search engines.
Screencasts with more detail: